When remodeling your kitchen, there’s only so much you may be able to complete on your own. While you may feel comfortable drawing up some rough plans and researching designs online, you’ll likely need the guidance of a professional for other tasks. However, knowing which type of professional to consult is not always easy.
There are many different types of professionals who work on kitchens, including architects and general contractors. The best professional to hire to ensure your vision is realized in an efficient, cost-effective way is a kitchen remodeling contractor. We’ll cover the benefits of hiring a kitchen remodeling contractor and share some valuable tips on how to pick the right one for your job.
Do I Need a Contractor to Remodel My Kitchen?
There are several reasons to consider hiring a kitchen remodeling contractor for your project, including:
- They can save you money: Kitchen remodeling contractors know how to save you money by making smart decisions on both construction methods and materials. They can also help you avoid mistakes in building and planning.
- They know the code: Kitchen remodeling contractors can navigate your municipality’s building codes and help you prepare for inspections. You wouldn’t want to be well into building on your own only to find that you’re not meeting local code.
- They know the right type of professional to hire for each job: Whether it be a plumber, electrician, mason, HVAC specialist or cabinet maker, kitchen remodeling contractors know which type of professional to hire for each task. Also, as they’ve worked with many other professionals in your area, they know which companies are most dependable.
How to Choose a Kitchen Remodeling Contractor
Although it may appear intimidating, finding a good contractor for a kitchen remodel is relatively easy if you take the right steps. When searching for a contractor, don’t forget to do each of the following:
1. Request Referrals
One of the most effective ways to find an experienced professional for the job is by word of mouth. To find the best kitchen remodel contractors in your area, ask friends, family and neighbors about which contractors they’ve had good experiences with. Also, ask them why their experience was a positive one, how that contractor dealt with issues and if they’d use the contractor again.
2. Take a Look at Their Credentials
Once you’ve been recommended a few names, do some basic research, either by visiting the remodeler’s site or calling them. See if the contractor has all the needed state and local licenses and designations from professional organizations, such as the National Association of Homebuilders.
Any seasoned professional will likely have passed tests to earn a certain certification. It’s important to note that not all certifications are equally valuable. When you find out the certifications that a contractor has, research what was required to obtain them. Based on this research, narrow down your list of names to one to three candidates.
3. Interview Your Candidates and Check References
Once you have your list of one to three candidates, it’s time to set up interviews with each of them. This step is extremely important, as a candidate’s answers can show you how well they listen and whether you’ll have good rapport with them. For the candidates whom you’ve established rapport with, request to see some of their past projects. Then, call the references to verify them.
4. Scrutinize the Contracts Before Signing
Once you’ve picked the candidate from your shortlist that appears best suited for the job, scrutinize the documents they’ve given you. Does the contract look professional, balanced and fair? Ensure that the written agreement also has:
- A payment schedule and bid price
- A site plan
- A schedule of the primary tasks
- The scope of the work
- A written procedural list for close-out
- A change-order clause
- A dispute resolution clause
- A waiver of lien clause
- An express limited warranty
If the contract includes all of the above, you can sign it confidently.
Benefits of Hiring a Kitchen Remodeling Contractor
With kitchen projects — as well as other home remodeling projects — many homeowners consider doing the work themselves, reasoning that it will be faster and cheaper this way. This is often not the case. Leaving the work to a professional kitchen remodeling contractor can save you money and time and bring expertise to your project. The risk of mistakes is also significantly reduced.
Other benefits of hiring professional kitchen remodeling contractors include:
- They perform efficient, high-quality work: Professional kitchen remodeling contractors make use of all their skills, knowledge and experience when doing their jobs. They know all the equipment required for a remodeling project and are familiar with any issues that could arise during the building process.
- They can save you money: If you’ve ever attempted a remodeling project by yourself, chances are the final product may have cost you more money, time and energy than you had expected. Professional remodeling contractors can estimate how much your materials will cost and prepare for any potential problems, which can save you money later on. They can also help you make plans to figure out how much you’ll need to budget.
- They can save you time: Before your contractor begins your kitchen project, they’ll determine how much work will be required. With this estimate, they’ll be able to hire the right workers for the job so it can be finished on budget, on time and with the expected results.
- They’ll help you with materials: Professional kitchen remodeling contractors can provide guidance on the best materials for your kitchen as well as alternatives that vary in cost and quality. A licensed professional contractor will want to provide what you’re looking for to help realize your vision. If you want the highest-quality materials on the market, be it for flooring or countertops, your kitchen remodeling contractor can assist you with shopping for and comparing materials until you find the one that is perfect for your kitchen.
Hire Daniel’s Development Group Inc. for Your Kitchen Remodel
Daniel’s Development Group Inc. offers a full line of remodeling and construction services throughout the Greater Los Angeles Area. We also offer a design-build approach, in which the building contractor, architectural designer and structural engineer are one and the same.